The forum for General Discussion
Site Admin
Post Nov 21, 2018 19:12
You may have seen from my Twitter feed that I'm currently re-writing the text / label tool (in the Pro/Steam editions) to use proper fonts and sizes. Since you might not follow me on there, I thought I'd start a thread to show some progress.

I'd also love questions and feedback, plus whether there's any particular features you might want to see.

(click for big)
Site Admin
Post Nov 21, 2018 19:23
To expand on this a little more, the new text tool will allow for:

* Selection from any compatible font installed on your system (e.g. I have 227 typefaces in various styles)

* Faux bold and italic styles in case your font doesn't have them, also underline and strike-through modes.

* Free placement of text, not restricted to grid alignment.

* Adjustable size from 6px to 250px which will scale based on the camera zoom / export size.
Post Dec 18, 2018 16:38
It's really interesting.
Site Admin
Post Dec 18, 2018 20:03
Thanks, it's taking a long time! I hope to post an update soon.
Post Dec 26, 2018 06:42
The new text tool looks incredible! Can't wait.

BTW, David, do you have any plans for implementing text search? If we could search for a specific text label, it would be immensely helpful. With large multi-region games, the problem of WHERE WAS THAT NPC becomes sort of irritating.
Site Admin
Post Dec 26, 2018 19:34
Yes I'd like to add search one day, for sure!
Site Admin
Post Jan 14, 2019 16:59
Text Tool is slowly approaching being finished and ready to ship.

Last big features are:

* Support multiple fonts within one text object,
* Move/drag handle to re-position the text
* Line alignment options,
* Image export
* Correct loading of old map files.

It'll then be ready for v4.3.1. I'd like to do more with it but for now I only want it to support everything the existing labels can do plus the extra bits like adjustable size and typeface.

Future stuff will be text effects like outlines, shadows, rotated / curved writing, etc.
Post Jan 19, 2019 22:37
David Walters wrote:
Jan 14, 2019 16:59
Text Tool is slowly approaching being finished and ready to ship.

Last big features are:

* Support multiple fonts within one text object,
* Move/drag handle to re-position the text
* Line alignment options,
* Image export
* Correct loading of old map files.

It'll then be ready for v4.3.1. I'd like to do more with it but for now I only want it to support everything the existing labels can do plus the extra bits like adjustable size and typeface.

Future stuff will be text effects like outlines, shadows, rotated / curved writing, etc.
thats cool but can we have scaleable pictures next so we dont need to usw 2x2,4x4,8x8,16x16,32x32 and so on ?
Sometime there are symbols you want use in your awesome program but you dont want them resized in an another program first...... to make it simple we want to use cutom tilesets that are NOT square AND an option to mark the middle of the custom tileset and an option to change its size
Site Admin
Post Jan 20, 2019 16:43
I'll be posting a public roadmap for 2019 development soon. You can get an advanced sneak preview on my Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/posts/24104427

:ssh: transformable image objects is on there

Need to focus on text right now though, thanks for your patience.
Post Jan 20, 2019 19:20
David Walters wrote:
Jan 20, 2019 16:43
I'll be posting a public roadmap for 2019 development soon. You can get an advanced sneak preview on my Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/posts/24104427

:ssh: transformable image objects is on there

Need to focus on text right now though, thanks for your patience.
i understand,thx for your hard work and good luck