The forum for General Discussion
Site Admin
Post Jan 18, 2016 13:33
Grid Cartographer 4 is OUT NOW, WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE ?!?!?!

You can also follow me on Twitter and on Facebook to chat or e-mail me via the link at the top of the page.

When is the release date?

Desktop Editions: 27th September 2016
Mobile Edition: TBA

How much will a new license cost?

Grid Cartographer 4 will launch with Gamer and Pro editions for Windows / Mac / Linux.

* Launch discount will run until 31st October 2016
** Prices do not include VAT

What are the differences between Gamer and Pro editions?

In short the Gamer edition is a cut down version focused on mapping computer role playing games. It is missing features needed for table top gaming, development use and some other advanced things.

Not listed here are many of the core features that make up version 3 already. Unless stated above these will be in both editions (so stuff like the wand tool, map themes, notes and labels)

What are the minimum requirements for each platform?

Where will I be able to buy v4?
Once released you will be able to buy the desktop version (Windows/Linux/Mac) from me directly via FastSpring. After release I will follow up with a Steam Greenlight campaign and a Touch edition for Android that will be available from Google Play. Other distribution partners are to be confirmed.

I really want to buy it from Steam instead, how can I let them know?
I will update later when the Greenlight page is ready to launch.

I really want to buy it from GOG.com instead, how can I let them know?
GOG have officially declined my submission as of Feb 2016. They are currently only interested in games and movies right now. Nevertheless you can still vote for Grid Cartographer 4 here: http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/grid_cartographer.

Can I upgrade from v3 Pro?
Yes! There will be the option at release to upgrade an existing v3 Pro license to the v4 equivalent for a discounted price through FastSpring. This upgrade will not include the v4 Touch edition. Cross-upgrades to other distributors (e.g. v3 -> Steam, etc.) are TBC.

Can I upgrade from an older version?
No, the upgrade offer will only apply to v3 Pro customers.

Will there be a Free Edition of v4?
No, the free edition will be retired in v4. I will however keep the free edition of v3 around if you'd like a demo.

Will you still be offering free updates?
Yes! Ongoing development of new features is very important to me. A Grid Cartographer license will include all the free updates in the v4.x series for the platforms your edition supports. Additionally there may come to exist larger 'expansion'-like content as part of v4.x, but this will not be free.

Will the v4 Touch edition come to Kindle Fire?
This is currently to be confirmed, but I hope so.

Is it coming to iPad?
There are no plans as of yet, but it's something I'd love to do eventually.
Last edited by David Walters on Sep 27, 2016 22:28, edited 37 times in total.
Post Jan 18, 2016 16:05
Great news. I am a new user and have not yet gone pro. I have a couple of questions:
1- Should I just wait to go pro when version 4 comes out? I assume I will not be saving any money by buying now and needing to upgrade shortly.

2-I know the main focus of this application is to support mapping of games - but I find it quite handy right now for generating maps for my pencil and paper roleplaying games. I hope you consider supporting this market fully as well.

3- is there a way to create custom edges or brushes? there are plenty of ways to represent objects on a map, but this would allow the motivated to use what they are used to.
Site Admin
Post Jan 18, 2016 16:35
Hey athelu, thanks for asking these questions, and for trying Grid Cartographer!
athelu wrote:Great news. I am a new user and have not yet gone pro. I have a couple of questions:
1- Should I just wait to go pro when version 4 comes out? I assume I will not be saving any money by buying now and needing to upgrade shortly.
Well the pricing hasn't been announced yet but I can at least refer to my past pricing as a guide for my intentions (v2 was $12, v3 is $19.99 and v2->v3 is $7.99).

Ideally the v3 + upgrade price will be close to a new v4 license so you'll neither save nor lose out by a great amount buying now or later, but I can't guarantee this right now unfortunately. Also it's worth considering that as I aim to extend into agreements with other distribution partners it may be that some platforms will vary on price and it may not be possible for me to offer an upgrade across distributors. Sorry it's so complex!
athelu wrote:2-I know the main focus of this application is to support mapping of games - but I find it quite handy right now for generating maps for my pencil and paper roleplaying games. I hope you consider supporting this market fully as well.
When Grid Cartographer first came out it absolutely was all about mapping for games but since then I've made many improvements relating to tabletop gaming and I hope to further improve what it can do for that usage. With v3 Pro there are definite DM specific features such as the advanced image export filters (called 'Dungeon Master Tools' as you'll see in the File > Publish Image > Filters tab).

There's always more I can do for both computer and pen&paper games - hopefully I can show they've got equal footing.
athelu wrote:3- is there a way to create custom edges or brushes? there are plenty of ways to represent objects on a map, but this would allow the motivated to use what they are used to.
You can create custom brushes in the pro edition, but not edges. There's a few examples in the gallery: http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/ ... =21&t=1371

Custom edges are much more complex than brushes and so user created custom ones may not be possible in v4, but I'm not averse to adding them on request as updates - I already have a huge list already, and compared to v2 there are lots more in v3, but I know this isn't helpful when you need a missing edge right then and there.
Site Admin
Post Jan 18, 2016 17:13
Okay, so here's the first new feature I'll post about: Named floors.

In the GIF below I start off with a simple tower block scene by double-clicking the region name (also a new feature) to open the rename box. I then use the new Floor > Rename option to assign names to each floor of the region, in this case corresponding to the tower.

To revert back to default naming simply clear the box and click OK.
Last edited by David Walters on Jan 18, 2016 17:20, edited 1 time in total.
Site Admin
Post Jan 21, 2016 22:42
"Game Link 2.0" is a major new feature in Grid Cartographer 4, allowing you to show video from the game in split screen with mapping. Watch this and it'll all make sense!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wMK8YQirTw
Post Jan 25, 2016 07:48
Since you're now devoting time to making a touch friendly version it'd be nice if some of that functionality could also go in the base version. When I was playing through Might & Magic I I had my Surface Pro running Grid Cartographer while my PC had the main game. If I could have used touch controls rather than the mouse it would have been a smoother experience for me.
Site Admin
Post Jan 26, 2016 10:57
MrPopo wrote:Since you're now devoting time to making a touch friendly version it'd be nice if some of that functionality could also go in the base version. When I was playing through Might & Magic I I had my Surface Pro running Grid Cartographer while my PC had the main game. If I could have used touch controls rather than the mouse it would have been a smoother experience for me.
I did put some work into supporting touch controls on my Windows 8 based 'Linx 8' tablet, check out the latest v3 build and you might find it's better for your Surface Pro as well.
Site Admin
Post Jan 26, 2016 10:59
A small tweak to the avatar marker used by Game Link today.

I've improved visibility by having it blink between the tile and the avatar symbol rather than the old behaviour of drawing them simultaneously which definitely wasn't as readable.
Last edited by David Walters on Jan 26, 2016 23:47, edited 1 time in total.
Site Admin
Post Jan 26, 2016 18:12
The secret wall edge style in v3 wasn't great. I've had a number of requests to change it to something more familiar to tabletop players. So in v4 I've added two new edge types (and removed the old double-arrow secret wall) - there's now a split wall and a standard door frame, as shown below. I won't point them out because they're secret ;)

You can also see the refreshed parchment background in this image. I've been unhappy with the old one for a while now. It had blotches on it that creates obvious tiling. I've improved this greatly while still retaining the spirit of the parchment concept I was going for originally.
Site Admin
Post Jan 27, 2016 20:38
I'm working on a new feature where tiles can have an optional ceiling - a simple yes/no flag like 'darkness' works currently. This way taller three dimensional rooms can be created or it could simply be used to differentiate between a street and inside a shop. You'll be able to see this clearly in the 3D engine but I also need a way to show it on the 2D map view or painting and erasing becomes ... challenging.

I was thinking I will probably use a thick line near the top edge of a grid square/hex with a ceiling. How does that sound? Something like:

You'll be able to turn the display on/off like you can with the note marks.