The forum for General Discussion
Site Admin
Post Jul 26, 2016 11:40
Also, here's a look at the revised top-left corner of the interface:

* The giant (and let's face it, confusing) G button has gone. Replaced with a more obvious HOME button. Also to more closely match the "MS Office convention" its been swapped with the File tab.

* You can now also save from the nav toolbar. It will work like "Save As ..." if the file you're working on hasn't been saved before.
Site Admin
Post Jul 26, 2016 22:20
Working on a new option to draw tile effects as separate colours without blending.

Here's what it looks like on a square grid:
Site Admin
Post Aug 15, 2016 16:36
An often request little feature is a size display when selecting areas. Hope you like it!

( It also works for hexagon regions. )

Should make measuring out specific room sizes a lot easier.
Last edited by David Walters on Aug 15, 2016 16:41, edited 2 times in total.
Site Admin
Post Aug 19, 2016 18:03
Here's a major new feature I've been working on for v4. Increasing the palette from a measly 16 fixed colours available in v3 to a fully editable 256 entries in v4.

You'll be able to use these colours in the same places as v3 could: all tile edges (with independent colours as shown above), markers, block terrain, mono custom tiles and labels.

The default palette gives you a good spread of hue and brightness combinations which is hopefully enough for most users (and I think looks pretty also) but the next step, once I've ironed out the remaining kinks, is to develop a palette editor for the Pro edition for maximum control - hopefully I can show that off soon.

* Existing maps from previous versions will be remapped to this new palette automatically on loading.
* The palette will no longer change based on display theme with the exception of the default index zero colour and all the background stuff (which doesn't use this palette). You'll be able to find equivalents for all the old colours in there though.
Last edited by David Walters on Aug 19, 2016 23:43, edited 2 times in total.
Site Admin
Post Aug 26, 2016 16:58
Been working on the grid drawing code to add a thickness control to it as well as a 'draw on top' option.

(click for big)

The thickness also automatically increases based on zoom level to give a more natural sense of depth.
Site Admin
Post Sep 05, 2016 17:31
This is probably the extent of the palette editor in v4.0. I can spend longer on it during v4.x if there's a demand for more bells and whistles. You can really go down the rabbit hole on such things.

Site Admin
Post Sep 07, 2016 22:04
Palette editor is done. Last thing was to load / save to a bespoke palette format. It will also export the palette to XML.

---

A little change - optionally draw 'field effect' markers exclusively. In v3 these colours can only combine:

Site Admin
Post Sep 12, 2016 15:16
As I gear up for actually releasing Grid Cartographer 4 (more details to follow soon) here's Game Link 2 running on Linux.

(click for big)

Next up Mac OSX ...
Site Admin
Post Sep 13, 2016 11:52
I've updated the OP with release date and pricing. Not long to go now !
Site Admin
Post Sep 13, 2016 22:48
Ever wondered if you've stepped on a specific map tile in that one corner of a room? Well wonder no more with these convenient footstep markers! By default you'll now get a little checked box drawn automatically wherever the avatar marker moves to, or is moved via Game Link player tracking.

I took this idea for Dark Heart of Urkel and I think it really helps for games like Might and Magic where you can easily draw the outside of a bunch of rooms as you walk past, but then forget which ones you actually went in.

If you want to remove footstep marks for whatever reason it's hooked up as an option in the eraser tool and you can also select the footprint icon in the brush palette and paint them on like any other brush. You can also hide them temporarily from the view tab (or stop them drawing automatically from the new Options > Editor sub-menu).

Since I've only just announced the Gamer edition I should make sure to tell you all that this will be a feature in that edition as well. Basically for any feature related to enjoying cRPGs you can have a safe bet that it'll appear in both versions.