The forum for General Discussion
Site Admin
Post Sep 14, 2016 17:14
Two-for-one update:

1. Resizable side panel.
2. Support for 8x8 or 16x16 custom tiles.
Site Admin
Post Sep 15, 2016 21:42
Few less visual changes today.

* Display and theme settings are now stored per-region. Now when you configure your map to look how you want it you can share that file with people and it will look exactly the same for them too.

* You can now control the smoothing of tiles to one of three settings: Never, Always and Dynamic which is the mode used by version 3 based on your zoom level.

* Also added is a display setting to remove the small drop shadow from the entire marker layer. This is a miscellaneous option you either would like to use or can safely ignore :)

* I've increased the number of recent slots in the brush palette. It stops at one row though so to see more than the usual 5 simply drag the size over.

* I've been working on the macOS version. The latest Xcode upgrade has deprecated the older standard library and recommended to raise the minimum to 10.9 'Mavericks' which I've done to ensure compatibility with newer macOS releases like the upcoming 'Sierra'.

You can see all the system requirements for version 4 in the OP.
Last edited by David Walters on Sep 15, 2016 21:44, edited 1 time in total.
Site Admin
Post Sep 16, 2016 14:58
Game Link will also be available for macOS. This is a modification to the official dosbox - not Boxer.

Post Sep 20, 2016 21:47
So android is being dropped?
Just my opinion but the pricing seem high.
Site Admin
Post Sep 21, 2016 07:51
Pickle wrote:So android is being dropped?
Yes, the version available from me on the 27th will only work on compatible Windows, Mac and Linux computers. The Android version will eventually re-appear on Google Play (and the Amazon app store, ideally) as a stand-alone product.
Pickle wrote:Just my opinion but the pricing seem high.
Thanks. As part of this new pricing model, which is more compatible with Steam, I plan to put Grid Cartographer on sale from time to time. I've also introduced the lower priced Gamer Edition to bridge the gap.

All v3 users will be eligible for a discount to v4 pro on launch day (with a greater saving if you upgrade before 31st October). Also a reminder that there's still time to upgrade from v2 -> v3 so that you qualify.
Site Admin
Post Sep 21, 2016 21:46
I'm putting together the finishing touches now. Nearly all of my critical tasks are completed and ready for launch next week. One of the last big UI things I wanted to change was a revised tool options panel, more in keeping with the new theme. Rather than the old system where the options covered up the map, I've moved things around to put them under a new tab on the side panel.

As in v3, only the Eraser and Picker tools have options but it gives me a place to add new panels for other tools in future, as needed. It's a good way of packing extra functionality into a tool without the need to tuck the options away on a full-screen options page (where they'd be a little too far away for convenience.)

You can also see a little [+] / [-] toggle which simply collapses the whole panel up. It helps you see a more of the brushes again now that the colour panel is much taller.
Last edited by David Walters on Sep 21, 2016 21:51, edited 3 times in total.
Site Admin
Post Sep 25, 2016 15:50
I've been thinking about stairs and ramps today and it dawned on my that the implementation to this point, having them as markers, doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. Stairs and ramps are supposed to be representations of the floor in the level (they have dynamic height but it's still a kind of floor). They're not a thing you're supposed to be able to pick up and move about which is what a marker is meant to be.

So you can now find stairs and ramps in the Ground section and they are drawn on the terrain layer instead. Older maps will migrate automatically (replacing any existing terrain the stair was placed on) and stairs/ramps can now have things placed on them in the freed-up marker layer.

This harmonising of the ground types opens the path to having more advanced control of terrain levels within the floor with the ultimate goal - using GC4 Pro as a game development tool - to recreate the slopes and height changes you find in the Ultima Underworld / System Shock 1 engine:

Site Admin
Post Sep 26, 2016 16:14
Here's my custom DOSBox R12 in advance of tomorrows Grid Cartographer 4 release.

You'll need this to use Game Link 2.0:
http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/tools/dosbox/

It's designed as a drop-in replacement for existing DOSBox installs. It's just regular old DOSBox at heart but you can run it in game link mode if you like. Do this either by using the special dedicated 'dosbox_gamelink' executable, or by changing your config file to output=gamelink, or use -gamelink on the command line.

Also if you've used previous versions that used the older network based system for tracking - you no longer need to dick around adding [netpeek] gibberish to your dosbox.conf - all that stuff works automatically now and you can remove it. (Although, it's still possible to track the player over a network as you could in v3, in which case it works the same and you still need the [netpeek] config lines.)
Post Oct 08, 2016 19:04
So, does any DOS game work with the gamelink functionality? I understand that those listed will show the tracking of where you've been, but I want to be sure that every DOS game I have will work with the gamelink since I have a lot of them thanks to GOG.

Thanks!
David Walters wrote:Here's my custom DOSBox R12 in advance of tomorrows Grid Cartographer 4 release.

You'll need this to use Game Link 2.0:
http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/tools/dosbox/

It's designed as a drop-in replacement for existing DOSBox installs. It's just regular old DOSBox at heart but you can run it in game link mode if you like. Do this either by using the special dedicated 'dosbox_gamelink' executable, or by changing your config file to output=gamelink, or use -gamelink on the command line.

Also if you've used previous versions that used the older network based system for tracking - you no longer need to dick around adding [netpeek] gibberish to your dosbox.conf - all that stuff works automatically now and you can remove it. (Although, it's still possible to track the player over a network as you could in v3, in which case it works the same and you still need the [netpeek] config lines.)
Site Admin
Post Oct 08, 2016 19:21
jcsand wrote:So, does any DOS game work with the gamelink functionality? I understand that those listed will show the tracking of where you've been, but I want to be sure that every DOS game I have will work with the gamelink since I have a lot of them thanks to GOG.

Thanks!
Hey jcsand - thanks for asking.

Yes any DOS game will work with Game Link and be playable within Grid Cartographer 4.

The system sends the video and input data between DOSBox and GC4 and doesn't know what you're playing. I've tried it with a bunch of games from GOG.com and elsewhere. It supports high-res VESA modes and joystick games like TIE Fighter.

For example, here's Blood:

However there are only certain games that will support automatically tracking the player. The list is currently:

* EYE OF THE BEHOLDER
* FORGOTTEN REALMS - UNLIMITED ADVENTURES
* MIGHT AND MAGIC
* MIGHT AND MAGIC II
* MIGHT AND MAGIC III (coming in next version)
* POOL OF RADIANCE
* WIZARDRY
* WIZARDRY 6

.. and I have plans to support even more games (and eventually other emulated systems) in future v4.x updates.

For old RPGs that I don't support you can still benefit from Grid Cartographer 4. The ability to play games side by side with the map is still incredibly useful even if you have to 'count steps' to draw the map. In fact several people asked me to add an option that disabled auto-tracking so that they could draw the map without 'cheating' :)
Last edited by David Walters on Oct 08, 2016 19:24, edited 2 times in total.