The forum for General Discussion
Post Oct 08, 2016 19:58
Yes, I think it does answer it. I have all the classic DOS RPG's from GOG and still have some that GOG doesn't have (Knights of Legend for example). I'm always interested in replaying them, but I don't have the time for paper maps like I used to. The joys of being an adult. ;) This would probably scratch that itch since I find using the cluebook/journal maps kind of defeats the purpose of playing. At least I can use those to check my accuracy.

If you ever emulate C64 or Ti-99/4A games, I'll be sure to notice. :D

Thanks again!
David Walters wrote:
jcsand wrote:So, does any DOS game work with the gamelink functionality? I understand that those listed will show the tracking of where you've been, but I want to be sure that every DOS game I have will work with the gamelink since I have a lot of them thanks to GOG.

Thanks!
Hey jcsand - thanks for asking.

Yes any DOS game will work with Game Link and be playable within Grid Cartographer 4.

The system sends the video and input data between DOSBox and GC4 and doesn't know what you're playing. I've tried it with a bunch of games from GOG.com and elsewhere. It supports high-res VESA modes and joystick games like TIE Fighter.

For example, here's Blood:

However there are only certain games that will support automatically tracking the player. The list is currently:

* EYE OF THE BEHOLDER
* FORGOTTEN REALMS - UNLIMITED ADVENTURES
* MIGHT AND MAGIC
* MIGHT AND MAGIC II
* MIGHT AND MAGIC III (coming in next version)
* POOL OF RADIANCE
* WIZARDRY
* WIZARDRY 6

.. and I have plans to support even more games (and eventually other emulated systems) in future v4.x updates.

For old RPGs that I don't support you can still benefit from Grid Cartographer 4. The ability to play games side by side with the map is still incredibly useful even if you have to 'count steps' to draw the map. In fact several people asked me to add an option that disabled auto-tracking so that they could draw the map without 'cheating' :)
Post Oct 10, 2016 16:29
Jcsand, I can tell you that Grid Cartographer definitely does 'scratch the itch'. I tried playing one of these old RPGs with someone's maps long ago and I found it very unsatisfying. I need to make the maps myself. At the same time, I don't want to draw them myself anymore with graph paper. I'd rather do it all digitally on my computer.

With GC, I like to put in the walls and doors as I move. This replicates the graph paper and pencil method nicely. When the map is finished, I fill it in with color. You may prefer using blocks and simple blocks though to draw your maps.