The forum for General Discussion
Site Admin
Post Oct 04, 2016 12:30
Embarking on my 2016 world tour of Might & Magic III - the Isles of Terra

Got position, facing and map number data coming in so the framework of the profile is done. Now the more labour intensive part: I need to visit all the places, get the map number and add them to the profile making sure to do things like putting town caverns on B1, checking grids are the right size (some of them are larger than 16x16 now), etc. Hopefully won't take too long - MM1 and 2 didn't really, once I got stuck in.
Last edited by David Walters on Oct 04, 2016 12:33, edited 2 times in total.
Post Oct 04, 2016 22:25
I am glad you are working on this one. Might and Magic 3, 4 and 5 are my favorite DOS era RPGs. When I played this one in the past, I never mapped the outside locations. But I think I will next time with GC.
Site Admin
Post Oct 05, 2016 10:53
Might be a few more days to go but the Might & Magic III profile is going well so far. I've got all towns and the world map supported now. Next up: Castles and Dungeons!
Post Oct 05, 2016 19:26
Always fun to see how people approach mapping. If I'm reading what you're doing correctly, you use walls to indicate a boundary you need mountaineer/pathfinding to get past and use the different tree stamps for how the tree looks in the first person view.

A couple of the dungeons seem to be made up of multiple contiguous maps like the overworld. I don't think any of them are basements of something else, though.
Post Oct 07, 2016 13:15
any chance the profile for MM3 can be included in v3?
Site Admin
Post Oct 07, 2016 16:40
Pickle wrote:any chance the profile for MM3 can be included in v3?
Sorry but v3 is no longer receiving new features.
Site Admin
Post Oct 07, 2016 22:32
MrPopo wrote:Always fun to see how people approach mapping. If I'm reading what you're doing correctly, you use walls to indicate a boundary you need mountaineer/pathfinding to get past and use the different tree stamps for how the tree looks in the first person view.

A couple of the dungeons seem to be made up of multiple contiguous maps like the overworld. I don't think any of them are basements of something else, though.
Well, full disclosure, I didn't make that map - but thanks to Watser who did (by hand!) I've been using it to tear through the game. Just two castles left to complete before I think I've got all of the map areas in.

There's a few more things I'd like to add to v4.0.2 but I don't imagine it'll be too much longer.

edit: I will also be releasing an updated custom DOSBox after I discovered that in Might and Magic 1 & 2 (possibly other games?) if you're in a dark zone the display isn't being updated. This, however causes the tracking data to also be skipped, which stops you seeing the party moving around in the dark until you turn or enter one of the menus.
Last edited by David Walters on Oct 07, 2016 22:36, edited 3 times in total.
Site Admin
Post Oct 08, 2016 18:13
I'm still working on v4.0.2. However during development I've noticed a couple of areas for improvement in my custom build of DOSBox.

So, DOSBox R13 is now available. http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/tools/dosbox/

You can stick with R12 if you like but this version is better. Here's what's changed:

• Automatic tracking-only version of Game Link is used by default when starting the regular executable.
• Fixed Game Link bug where tracking doesn't work if the screen isn't being updated (e.g. during dark areas in 'Might and Magic II').
• Added 'gamelinkmaster' option to dosbox.conf which disables all Game Link features if set to 'false'.
• Includes all official DOSBox changes up to SVN revision 4000.

The first change is useful if you prefer (or need to use) the old style version of Game Link where DOSBox is handling video/input and all GC is doing is accessing the player data. It's like how things used to be when I added Game Link back in GC3, but this time it requires zero config file changes.
Post Oct 10, 2016 15:52
will the current set dosbox changes still work with v3?
Site Admin
Post Oct 10, 2016 16:18
Pickle wrote:will the current set dosbox changes still work with v3?
Yes. Both R12 and R13 are backwards compatible with Grid Cartographer v3. Since v3 doesn't know about Game Link 2.0 the dosbox_gamelink executable won't be much use to you but the standard one should work just fine.

If you find there are problems though, adding 'gamelinkmaster = false' to dosbox.conf will disable all the game link 2.0 stuff - the old [netpeek] feature won't be affected.