The forum for General Discussion
Post Oct 19, 2016 09:32
I'm using GC4 to play Wizardry 6 with my MacBook, and it works like a charm.

I found that there are little documents about how to setup customized DOSBox and Game Link in macOS, and I did make some efforts to setting the environment up. So I decided to write down a mini HOW-TO. Although it's focus on Wizardry 6, the procedure to set up DW's DOSBox should be generic. Hope it helps those who like to play old games in Macs.

And, I'm not a native English speaker, so please don't mind if some sentences reads wired... ;)

---
  1. Buy a copy of Wizardry 6 & 7 from GOG.com (You can get it from Steam if you prefer since we need only original game files, but I'll take the GOG.com version as the example) and install Wizardry 6.
  2. Buy Grid Cartographer 4 and install it.
  3. Download DW's customized DOSBox (for macOS, of course) and extract it.
  4. The DOSBox customed by DW needs some depenencies, so now we are going to install them. Fortunately, we can retrive these depenencies easily with a little help from the package manager: Homebrew.
    (Note: you can use other package managers you familiar with, such as MacPorts; but since different package managers use different directory structures, you have to make many symbolic links manually after installed. If you don't know what I'm talking about, just use Homebrew.)
    1. Install Homebrew as the official instructions.
    2. Launch Terminal and execute the following command to install necessary dependencies:

Code: Select all

brew install sdl sdl_sound sdl_net libpng
    3. Execute this command to check if `sdl`, `sdl_sound`, `sdl_net` and `libpng` have been installed:

brew list
    4. Now DW's DOSBox should work. Try if you can see the orange splash screen & DOS prompt now.
  5. The Wizardry 6 provied by GOG.com uses their own customized DOSBox so we are not able to simply subsitute the executable with DW's one; instead, we are going to extract Wizardry 6's original files and use DW's DOSBox to execute it. Here are my steps:
    1. Make a new working directory, say `~/wiz6`.

mkdir ~/wiz6
    2. Use this terminal command to copy original game files to a subdirectory under our working directory, say `~/wiz6/gamedir` (the command is quite long! Make sure input in one single command):

cp -R /Applications/Wizardry\ 6.app/Contents/Resources/game/Wizardry\ 6.app/Contents/Resources/Wizardry\ 6.boxer/C\ Wizardry\ 6.harddisk/ ~/wiz6/gamedir
    3. Save files of the game are stored in another locacation, so we have to copy them to working directory as well:

cp ~/Library/Application\ Support/Boxer/Gamebox\ States/com.gog.wizardry-6/Current.boxerstate/C\ Wizardry\ 6.harddisk/* ~/wiz6/gamedir/
  6. Copy all files extracted from Step 3 to working directory. You can do it with Finder, or use Terminal command below:

cp ~/Downloads/DOSBOX/* ~/wiz6
  7. Edit ~/wiz6/dosbox.conf:
    1. Change `output=surface` to `output=gamelink`.
    2. Change `wizpopfix=0` to `wizpopfix=6`.
    3. Add the following lines below `[Autoexec]` section:

mount c ~/wiz6/gamedir
      c:
      wroot

8. Now you can start up Wizardry 6 & GC 4 manually:
    1. Launch Terminal, and execute:

cd ~/wiz6; ./dosbox
    2. Launch GC4 from Launchpad.
  9. [OPTIONAL] You can use Automator of macOS to create a shortcut that can startup Wizardry 6 & GC 4 for you.
    1. Launch Automator from Launchpad.
    2. Select 'File -> New' from menu.
    3. Select 'Application' as type.
    4. Search and add 'Run Shell Script' action, and input the following line as script:

open -a ~/wiz6/dosbox --args -conf ~/wiz6/dosbox.conf
    5. Search and add 'Launch Application' action, and select 'Grid Cartographer 4' in list box.
    6. You can use the 'Run' button to see if it works as expected. If everything's ok, save it to wherever you want (Desktop or Application or... etc.).
    7. Next time, just launch the application you've created and it will launch DOSBox & GC4 for you.
Site Admin
Post Sep 05, 2017 16:43
I believe I've removed Step 4 of these instructions by using a different build process to create the dosbox executable.

Here's the 'beta' version:
http://gridcartographer.com/files/dosbo ... -macos.zip

I'll update the download page once I've given it more of a test.