"Grid Cartographer 4 Pro" is coming to Steam!
Here's the plan:
* I'm now a Valve partner but I'm still preparing for release - it's important to me to make a good first impression with this new audience so I don't want to rush. (I appreciate that this has been a long time coming, thanks for your patience.) A specific release date has not been set. Realistically I would expect 'during the autumn' would be an achievable target. I will be sure to announce the actual date when it has been decided/approved.
* Only the Pro Edition will be coming to Steam. It'll match the features of the website version and be compatible with map files, scripts, etc. Similarly it will be available for Windows, macOS and Linux.
NOTE: You can upgrade from Gamer to Pro here: http://gridcartographer.com/buy/
* The Gamer and Pro Editions from the website will continue to be available and supported (I'm taking time out from working on v407 to write this). Updates will be submitted to Valve at the same time as the website versions (with the possible exception of specific hotfixes, etc.) and everything will be kept in sync.
* I intend to support v4.x (which launched in October 2016) with free updates until at least 2018.
* I'll be requesting the same $49.99 price point as my website. Note: this must be converted into your local currency and the rates may vary vs. buying from FastSpring. I intend to do an initial launch discount and take part in Steam sales.
* I plan to request a batch of Steam keys so that *prior to launch* all Pro Edition customers (either new or upgrades from v3 or v4 gamer) will be given the opportunity to request a free Steam copy if you would like one - as a thank you for supporting the project. Note: After launch this offer will no longer be available.
* After launch, new copies bought from my website or Steam will not be automatically entitled to a key from the opposite distribution channel. I'll add a Steam store page link on my website buy page so the choice is clear.
Thanks for reading, happy to answer any questions.
The forum for General Discussion
- Post Jul 24, 2017 23:12
I'll recommend that you make it super duper explicit as for the difference between buying direct off the website vs. off of Steam; otherwise you're going to get people who are confused. Out of curiosity, do you think that the 5.x line (whenever that comes) would be Steam-only?
- Site Admin
- Post Jul 25, 2017 09:06
I have no plans to go Steam-only.MrPopo wrote: ↑Jul 24, 2017 23:12I'll recommend that you make it super duper explicit as for the difference between buying direct off the website vs. off of Steam; otherwise you're going to get people who are confused. Out of curiosity, do you think that the 5.x line (whenever that comes) would be Steam-only?
I won't rule out introducing Steam-only features though, such as the Steam marketplace. However, since that's just custom maps and scripts and I've got a space on my download page for those already and people are welcome post links in the gallery forum, I don't expect this to be a problem.
FastSpring sales have worked well all these years and there's almost no overhead now that upgrades have mostly petered out. While I imagine sales might drop off here once new purchasing options become available, there's no cost or reason to remove it as an option for customers who'd prefer not to use Steam.
- Site Admin
- Post Jul 15, 2018 17:59
You can now upgrade from v4 Gamer to Steam here: http://gridcartographer.com/buy/ for about the difference between the Gamer and Pro/Steam edition.