The forum for General Discussion
Post Aug 18, 2017 02:21
I got this software yesterday mainly to map out games that don't have automapping and I got the GOG version of Wizardry 6 and 7. I tried replacing the DOSBOX with the custom one as instructed by the manual. I was wondering what I did wrong as I encounter an SDL.ll or something error plus my antivirus ends up removing them? Are there any extra steps to take for the GOG version of the game due to its custom DOSBOX?
Site Admin
Post Aug 18, 2017 08:18
Hi, sorry to hear you're having a problem. Did you replace the whole DOSBOX folder and not just dosbox.exe?
Post Aug 18, 2017 09:34
David Walters wrote:
Aug 18, 2017 08:18
Hi, sorry to hear you're having a problem. Did you replace the whole DOSBOX folder and not just dosbox.exe?
I did copy and replace the DOSBOX with the custom one then open file config in that new folder and changed it to gamelink as instructed in the manual. I get an error after doing that. I don't know if it is because of GOG having their own custom DOSBOX that needs some other files replaced or I don't know.
Site Admin
Post Aug 18, 2017 13:38
I'm not sure about the error you're getting, can you tell me precisely what you're seeing? From what you've said already it sounds like your anti-virus software is breaking your install by removing key DLL files. That would be bad for your success here.

I'd like to know:

1. What operating system you're running?
2. Does the game work if you do a clean install on its own with no modifications?
3. If your anti-virus is removing DLL files then it won't work, so can you try with it disabled / add an exception?
4. Does the game run at all if all you do is swap out the DOSBOX folders? - ignoring Grid Cartographer for this test.

One other thing to note is you should be editing dosboxWizardry6.conf / dosboxWizardry7.conf in the GOG install folder - not the one in the new DOSBOX folder.

FWIW, I just installed Wiz6 via Galaxy, did the swap, edited dosboxWizardry6.conf to gamelink and ran 406b of the Gamer edition and it does still work. So I'm confident this is an issue we can eventually resolve for you too.
Post Aug 18, 2017 14:59
David Walters wrote:
Aug 18, 2017 13:38
I'm not sure about the error you're getting, can you tell me precisely what you're seeing? From what you've said already it sounds like your anti-virus software is breaking your install by removing key DLL files. That would be bad for your success here.

I'd like to know:

1. What operating system you're running?
2. Does the game work if you do a clean install on its own with no modifications?
3. If your anti-virus is removing DLL files then it won't work, so can you try with it disabled / add an exception?
4. Does the game run at all if all you do is swap out the DOSBOX folders? - ignoring Grid Cartographer for this test.

One other thing to note is you should be editing dosboxWizardry6.conf / dosboxWizardry7.conf in the GOG install folder - not the one in the new DOSBOX folder.

FWIW, I just installed Wiz6 via Galaxy, did the swap, edited dosboxWizardry6.conf to gamelink and ran 406b of the Gamer edition and it does still work. So I'm confident this is an issue we can eventually resolve for you too.
Ok so I guess what fixed it was the fact that I edited the config in the DOSBOX folder and not the actual game config folder. That part of the manual really confused me.I am loving what I am seeing so far and I feel satisfied with my purchase. If only it works on Elminage Gothic. That game is a nightmare from what I have seen so far.

I got a question about the software though. How can I browse the maps that I made? Also does anything saved on a Gamelink session be able to be opened and worked on outside of the game link session?
Site Admin
Post Aug 18, 2017 17:23
Towerbooks3192 wrote:
Aug 18, 2017 14:59
Ok so I guess what fixed it was the fact that I edited the config in the DOSBOX folder and not the actual game config folder. That part of the manual really confused me.I am loving what I am seeing so far and I feel satisfied with my purchase. If only it works on Elminage Gothic. That game is a nightmare from what I have seen so far.
Great, glad you got it sorted. yeah, the technology I've created for game link requires modification to the game as well which isn't really possible for native Windows applications. You can still use Grid Cartographer to play Elminage though, you just need to manually move the avatar marker around as you play and 'count steps' - basically what you had to do for all games before I added the game link feature.
Towerbooks3192 wrote:
Aug 18, 2017 14:59
I got a question about the software though. How can I browse the maps that I made? Also does anything saved on a Gamelink session be able to be opened and worked on outside of the game link session?
Think of game link as a layer on top of the editor, rather than a mode of the software. The maps you draw can be saved/loaded to your computer as .GCT files -> click the File tab. They can also be loaded independently of playing the game if you like (although don't change too many settings, especially region names, or the map won't be recognised as compatible with the game anymore).
Post Aug 19, 2017 14:52
Ok so I tried to run gamelink for Wizardry 7 and though it works, I find it weird that it doesn't fit the game in the box where you split the view between cartographer and the game. the game runs and the cartographer runs too but I have to awkwardly alt+tab to do anything and box in the cartographer says stream not available or something similar to that. Is it related to me changing the resolution using the GOG configuration prior to doing it? I changed it with that option to display as 1280x1720.
Site Admin
Post Aug 19, 2017 17:28
The GOG config tool doesn't know about the new 'gamelink' output option and so I guess it's trashing it, you'll need to change it back to 'gamelink' to correct this (or perhaps use the dedicated dosbox_gamelink.exe instead which ignores the output setting and always outputs to gamelink.)

All DOSBox games should work in Grid Cartographer, I even played TIE Fighter and Blood while stress testing it during development :)