It doesn't hurt to ask!
Post Apr 04, 2017 17:00
So I use this program to create maps for Play by Post games, updating the map each time I post. I know the program has various tools to hide things from players (at least the pro edition I'm using does), making doors that are locked look unlocked, hiding hidden walls, etc. But one thing it doesn't seem to have, or at least I can't seem to figure out how to do it, is a way to hide EVERYTHING in an area for players. At first, I thought the tile effect "Dark" might be it but that doesn't seem to do anything other than dim the colors in the tile it's used on.

Currently I'm just having to export a .png and edit it in paint.net to hide unexplored areas. Its not too bad, but its kind of a hassle for what I assumed would be (and might actually be, though non-obvious to me at least) a function of the program itself. In fact, due to the "Darkness" toggle in eraser options I'm thinking it IS a function of the program, I just can't figure out how to toggle it on or off. The closest thing I see is the "Include darkness overlay" in the export options but that just includes the slight dimming that darkness causes, it doesn't actually hide the darkened areas.
Site Admin
Post Apr 04, 2017 17:33
Hi Piecewise,

There isn't currently a way to completely hide individual tiles, you're not missing anything. The darkness overlay is close to this but it's intended to still allow you to see what's in the tile, so its not ideal for you usage.

I will make a note to add a true 'hidden' tile state in a future version.
Site Admin
Post Apr 05, 2017 21:56
I've been working on fog-of-war feature today and got fairly far with it. Still need to hook it up to the image exporter and have it work on hex maps, but getting there.

Post Apr 06, 2017 13:43
David Walters wrote:
Apr 05, 2017 21:56
I've been working on fog-of-war feature today and got fairly far with it. Still need to hook it up to the image exporter and have it work on hex maps, but getting there.
Thats good to know, it will help expedite map creation a lot, at least for me. :D I'm looking forward to the release.
Post Apr 21, 2017 20:37
I use GC for my PbP game as well. Fog of war would be awesome. Thank you for the suggestion.
Site Admin
Post Apr 21, 2017 22:43
I'm glad to hear it - I'm still working on image export but it's done in the editor now.

There will be three styles in the next update - black, invisible and hazard (shown above). Invisible simply hides anything under it completely, as if you never draw anything.

In a future update I'd love to add some more fog styles.

NOTE: You can follow me on Twitter for frequent development updates.