It doesn't hurt to ask!
Post Jun 16, 2017 03:50
So while proper game link requires the work to have been done to figure out where a game stores its positional data and react accordingly, something that might be good as a generic feature would be to have an option for Grid Cartographer to just react to the raw arrow inputs coming in to the program before being passed off to Dosbox and update the existing position marker accordingly. You'd probably want to have two styles; one for first person and one for overhead. So on a first person up/down would move forward and back according to the current viewport and left and right would rotate, while overhead would treat them as absolute movement. The other thing you'd probably need to include would be a hotkey to turn it on/off (so that menuing doesn't trigger movement). It wouldn't be perfect; for example, Ultima IV has overworld segments that require multiple presses to move a single tile, but it could potentially serve as a useful stopgap in between adding support for full game link.
Post Nov 09, 2017 15:34
Yeah, I was thinking about this as well.

Basically, just a simple toggle (akin to the "bulldozer mode" toggle) which would pick up the keystrokes from the arrow keys (I would make them able to be re-mapped to other keys though) while in a game and pass them to GC.

I am not sure the best way to handle this . It really depends on how you can pick up keystrokes in various application windows. If it isn't too difficult, you could simply send them to GC, attaching it to a modified "bulldozer" mode.

Again, I am making assumptions about how to approach this as I am not familiar with windows APIs or the limitations of the basic libraries. If the general ability is there, this could be an excellent feature that simply provides generic support. Also, doesn't DOSBOX have a key mapping utility in it anyway? Maybe there is a way to tie into that to pull the keystrokes and pass them to GC. Heck, worst case scenario you could tie into the network and then muiticast back to your loopback where GC could pick up the packets.

Just spit balling, regardless of the direction, so take it with a grain of salt. /shrug