It doesn't hurt to ask!
Post Jan 08, 2016 23:04
I am liking the simplicity of this tool, but would really like to see the doors and stairways like the old school D&D titles. Any chance we could get that type of edge or symbol?
Site Admin
Post Jan 08, 2016 23:52
athelu wrote:I am liking the simplicity of this tool, but would really like to see the doors and stairways like the old school D&D titles. Any chance we could get that type of edge or symbol?
I'll add these to my todo list for v4, thanks for the request!
Post Jan 09, 2016 13:02
The wizardry 5 and 6 hint books use one perpendicular line to represent a door so the door icon would kind of look like a + (plus) symbol. This happens to be the way I always drew doors when I used to do this on graph paper so I wouldn't mind seeing this option for doors in a future version of Grid Cartographer.
Post Jan 18, 2016 16:08
I am thinking of the original Blue/white DND designs. They used a open rectangle (wider than the walls) to represent doors. Windows were open rectangles equal width to the walls. Stairs where a series of lines with an arrow pointing direction. There are standard symbols for Statues, fireplaces, beds, etc.. I will gladly submit a catalog of images if it will help, or, as I posted in the v4 status/comments I would even be willing to create them if they could be imported.
Site Admin
Post Jan 18, 2016 16:44
athelu wrote:I am thinking of the original Blue/white DND designs. They used a open rectangle (wider than the walls) to represent doors. Windows were open rectangles equal width to the walls. Stairs where a series of lines with an arrow pointing direction. There are standard symbols for Statues, fireplaces, beds, etc.. I will gladly submit a catalog of images if it will help, or, as I posted in the v4 status/comments I would even be willing to create them if they could be imported.
If you can find me some pictures that'd be great. I think I get what you've described in your post but I may be wrong! Just post copies of them here and I should be able to do something for you.
Post Nov 03, 2016 05:28
here are what the classic DND stairs looked like:
Post Nov 04, 2016 21:53
The image no longer shows up. If I made these would I need to make rotations, or just one direction?
Post Nov 04, 2016 23:09
The image was similar to this:

Image from this article. I have to agree with it though, I found the choice for up confusing and used the alternative that he shows.

With up being

And down being

Post Nov 06, 2016 00:04
How's this for now? David can just take and use these if they'll do the job.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/m2g276sya ... Stairs.zip
Site Admin
Post Nov 06, 2016 00:31
Thanks Arkloyd that's really great work!

I was going to weigh in on this thread earlier because I thought I had a problem with the suggestion - but I think I'm clearer now and it can go ahead.

My problem was that to me these top-down style stairs in the thread are ambiguous wrt. their up/down direction (or at best extremely subtly different). For example, row 2, col 1 and row 0, col 5 are practically the same graphic. Or - taking the first image tarasis posted - are the Stairs Up to the west? or the east? :iiam:

However I've thought about it some more and it's actually a non-issue isn't it. If I integrate these into the software - I'd add them as 8 unique new marker values. Internally they'd clearly and unambiguously be represented as up/down stairs. Any confusion in the map view would only be to a human eye. Since this is apparently a standard that people are happy to work with, who am I to disagree :D

Directed stairs is also an important step for the 3D / game stuff too. Definitely worth adding.