It doesn't hurt to ask!
Post Sep 20, 2016 23:31
I've used Grid Cartographer 3 now for quite some time and the only complaint I have is I don't like the icon used for doors. It looks like GC 4 is on its way so I would like to know if version 4 will have any more door icons to choose from... either in the original release or maybe in a later upgrade to 4?
Site Admin
Post Sep 21, 2016 07:56
Hi. Grid Cartographer 4 will launch with a new S door/wall and a wall niche style. There are no new plain door styles at the moment. However I plan to add more edge types through v4.x.

Am I right that you wanted doors that were like hollow boxes like this, right?

Post Sep 21, 2016 10:05
Sorry for intruding into other people's topics, but for me, these "hollow-box" doors in GC4 would be like a Christmas present from Santa himself :)

In other words - YES PLEASE.
Post Sep 21, 2016 17:46
Yes, those hollow box doors are what Might and Magic and the SSI gold box hint books use. That is what I am used to. Or even the simpler one used in the wizardry 6 and 7 hint books are good. My problem with the one used in GC 3 is that it looks more like an archway to me then a door.

Do you have a picture you can post of the S door/wall and wall niche style?
Site Admin
Post Sep 21, 2016 20:32
Here you go:

Post Sep 21, 2016 22:37
Thank you for posting those images. The niche is especially nice. Very useful to have that for some games. I will upgrade for that alone. Please consider adding in an alternative door style at some point.

Let me change gears here a bit. When I upgrade, should I uninstall GC 3 first? Will GC 4 import my hotkeys?
Site Admin
Post Sep 21, 2016 22:43
MikeSol wrote:Thank you for posting those images. The niche is especially nice. Very useful to have that for some games. I will upgrade for that alone. Please consider adding in an alternative door style at some point.

Let me change gears here a bit. When I upgrade, should I uninstall GC 3 first? Will GC 4 import my hotkeys?
Thanks! :tiphat:

GC3 and both GC4 editions will (and do here on my machine) all happily co-exist independently so you don't have to uninstall anything. v4 won't import your hotkeys automatically though, sorry. However I guess you could manually copy your XML file in and it'll read what it understands (since some of the action names have changed or have been removed, eg. the old colour selection shortcuts) and it should hopefully grab the main ones. Sorry that's not too convenient if you've done extensive remapping.
Last edited by David Walters on Sep 21, 2016 22:44, edited 1 time in total.
Post Sep 22, 2016 21:55
Heh, I definitely extensively remapped everything but that's ok. :)

Which file or files should I backup to save the keybinds in version 4? I asked you this once before for version 3 but the exact files may have changed so I want to make sure I backup the right ones. Is it just keymap.xml?
Site Admin
Post Sep 22, 2016 22:56
MikeSol wrote:Heh, I definitely extensively remapped everything but that's ok. :)

Which file or files should I backup to save the keybinds in version 4? I asked you this once before for version 3 but the exact files may have changed so I want to make sure I backup the right ones. Is it just keymap.xml?
Yes that's right, the filename hasn't changed. (I also added saving after every remap to the new version.)

It'll be in either:

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\David Walters Development\Grid Cartographer 4 Gamer Edition
C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\David Walters Development\Grid Cartographer 4 Pro Edition

or in similar locations on Mac / Linux (which I had to lookup from your 'weird crash' thread!):

on Linux: ~/.config/David Walters Development/Grid Cartographer 4 Pro Edition
on Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/David Walters Development/Grid Cartographer 4 Pro Edition
Site Admin
Post Sep 24, 2016 23:46
ho ho ho !