It doesn't hurt to ask!
Post Nov 01, 2016 21:37
Hi there, new user here :)

It would be useful to have a "Scroll" (or Book) Item for marking on the map. Just started playing EOB and found some scrolls.

The other request is to have a selection wheel lthat is triggered by pressing the middle button. On it could be an recently used items.

A more advanced version could be a mesh of above and the one from Temple of Elemental Evil. Use the top slots for "recent items" and then the bottom slots to cascade into the categories / the icons.

Site Admin
Post Nov 01, 2016 22:49
Hey, welcome!

The scroll marker is a good idea, will add that eventually!

The wheel suggestion - I think I'd prefer to improve the existing brush overlay (hold space bar) rather than make another UI. The ToEE approach is good but I've got my own system working here and I'm reluctant to change it so dramatically.

edit: What sort of things would you have on your UI that I could include on the brush overlay?
Last edited by David Walters on Nov 01, 2016 22:54, edited 1 time in total.
Post Nov 02, 2016 01:57
David Walters wrote:Hey, welcome!
The wheel suggestion - I think I'd prefer to improve the existing brush overlay (hold space bar) rather than make another UI. The ToEE approach is good but I've got my own system working here and I'm reluctant to change it so dramatically.

edit: What sort of things would you have on your UI that I could include on the brush overlay?
The problem for me with the Space bar UI is that you can need to travel the mouse a long way and then back again to whatever location you were working with. In my fantasy I would envisage the radial working like so :

1) Middle Click and hold (or say Button 4/5) on a location.
2) GC stores current cursor position
3) Radial appears and I navigate to item I want
4) I release the middle button and the currently highlighted item in radial is selected
5) GC moves the cursor back to the location stored in step 2.

So similarly with Brush Overlay

1) Activate Brush Overlay
2) Store mouse location
3) Choose whatever brush
4) Release space
5) Restore cursor back to original position

I don't know what language / api you are writing this in, so I don't know if you can easily get/set the cursor location. I know it is possible with the Windows API and IIRC also OSX.

Also with a thought to minimal mouse movement, have the Brush Overlay dynamically put recent items closest to the mouse pointer when the overlay is activated. Admittedly that is much more awkward as stuff would shift around (particularly if you activated the overlay while the pointer is near the bottom of the map), so its probably not practical.

-- Edit I should add I use a 2560x1080 monitor with GC with nearly full width (with GameLink).
Last edited by tarasis on Nov 02, 2016 11:56, edited 1 time in total.