It doesn't hurt to ask!
Post Mar 05, 2019 02:45
Could you please make is to if you double click on a color in the side panel it takes you to that color (index pre selected) in the palette to customize it? (its easy enough to get back with the Home button)

When I need colors having to keep going to the Setup menu in the top right, then Palette on the far left, then pick the index of the color every time is time consuming.

Alternately maybe a right click context menu to do so on the color if double click is an issue?

I mainly want to use colors that have RGB values of 0, 64, 128, 192, and 255... or at most the "web safe" 0, 51, 102, 153, 204, 255 colors and I can't easily find ones that meet that using the default palette.

Fortunately you CAN customize them so I'm just overwriting the existing palette as I need colors. It would also be nice if there was an option to type in the RGB values (HEX or DEC) instead of having to use the sliders. I often slide back and forth around a number I want with the slider and it I have a specific value in mind it would be nice to be able to just type it in.

I'm still new to the program (just bought it the other day) so it's entirely possible I'm just missing something so feel free to clue me in if that's the case. Thankfully once I get a palette built up I can save it off, thanks for that. Also points to good tutorials would be great. Thanks!
Site Admin
Post Mar 05, 2019 08:47
Thanks for the thorough suggestion. I'm planning to move onto colour related topics next as it happens.

Part of the plan is to turn the current palette editor into a dialog box (rather than a full page editor) with improved features like type-in boxes and a colour wheel box? (I.e. the usual stuff you'll see in Photoshop, et al.)

I hadn't considered a "web-safe" option but if I understand it correctly, I can add that to the list of low bit depth options.

Btw. You can make the whole palette 3 bits deep and that'll give you 0/32/64/96... value RGBs. Not perfect but might help for now.
Post Mar 05, 2019 14:33
Turning the palette editor into a dialog box sounds GREAT but it also sounds like a lot of work that will take a bit of time to implement. If it's a relatively quick change getting the double click to jump to the correct index on the current palette screen would still be a nice thing to have in the meantime. If that is a lot of work though and you plan to replace the current system anyway then nevermind, I can wait.

I'm not sure "web safe" is the correct term (that's just what I've heard it referred to as) but basically someone figured out that 255 was divisbile by 5 and just made a palette that was limited to all the combinations of multiples of 255/5 which turns out to be 51. So you get 0, 51, 102, 153, 204, and 155 for each which I think makes 216 (6^3) total colors in the palette. I believe it was also a widely used set of colors for 8-bit (game) graphics where you could only have 256 max colors but you couldn't break it down to R, G, and B bits easily since 8 doesn't divide by 3 colors and rounding down would only give you 2 bits per color for a total of 64 colors. The "web safe" palette fills most of the 256 colors while remaining evenly distributed between the colors. They also end up as easy to remember items in hex with the values being: 00, 33, 66, 99, CC, and FF.

On a side note I was playing with making my own markers and had some issues that turned out me just being stupid. Could you please make a message or something alert me when I try to do the mask with an image that's saved at > 8 bit. Took me a minute to figure out why things weren't working but once I changed them to 8 bit it worked great.
Site Admin
Post Mar 05, 2019 22:34
If you can send me a copy of the image file that doesn't work that'll help detect those files and potentially help me support them in future.
Site Admin
Post Mar 05, 2019 22:42
Asmodai wrote:
Mar 05, 2019 14:33
Turning the palette editor into a dialog box sounds GREAT but it also sounds like a lot of work that will take a bit of time to implement. If it's a relatively quick change getting the double click to jump to the correct index on the current palette screen would still be a nice thing to have in the meantime.
Double clicking a colour in the palette box now opens up the editor page. That'll definitely be in the next version as a minimum level of improvement.

(I'm hoping I make good progress on a full dialog box but you're right that it may take a little longer.)
Post Mar 06, 2019 03:28
David Walters wrote:
Mar 05, 2019 22:34
If you can send me a copy of the image file that doesn't work that'll help detect those files and potentially help me support them in future.
I'm pretty much sure the problem was just that I saved it as a 32bit PNG because that's what my editor defaulted to. It took me far longer than I'd like to admit to figure out that was the problem but once I saved it as 8bit it worked like a charm. The request was just to have something in the UI inform the user if they pick "Mono / Tintable" when importing a custom Marker if the bit depth is greater than 8bit. Unless you're saying it SHOULD work for 32bit markers???
Site Admin
Post Mar 06, 2019 09:05
Sorry I thought you meant >8 bit per channel like an HDR image or something. I now realise you mean it worked only when you saved as an 8-bit greyscale but not as colour.

Yes the mono import should handle loading 24-bit RGB and 32-bit RGBA images. I think it looks at the green channel for those where black is transparent and white is opaque, I'll need to double check.
Site Admin
Post Mar 18, 2019 00:00
Here's a very early video showing how editing palettes in v4.3.3 will be much easier.

https://youtu.be/6tb1MaCBP9g
Post Mar 18, 2019 14:22
Very cool!