Thanks for reporting problems here.
Post May 18, 2015 12:31
Not sure if this is a GC bug or Windows 8 bug, but whenever I right-click a .gct map file in Windows Explorer and select "Open with... Grid Cartographer", error "Missing data files! Please re-install." occurs. Tried re-installing GC, nothing changes. Help please?

P.S. My OS is Win 8.1 Pro, 64-bit.
Site Admin
Post May 18, 2015 13:35
That error means the Grid Cartographer EXE thinks it's running from the folder that the map file is in, not the installation folder. It's kind of a Windows behaviour rather than a bug, and it's something I can probably fix on my end.

As a work around perhaps you can use Send To instead? if you go to Run > shell colon sendto (edit: I tried to type this properly without using the word colon, but apparently my web host doesn't want to let me :roll: ) and create a shortcut in there.

I'll make a note to look at it properly. Instead of that error it can probably find the installation folder somehow and load from there.

Thanks for the report, sorry for the inconvenience.
Site Admin
Post May 18, 2015 17:44
Okay I think I fixed it.

I made a shortcut to Grid Cartographer and changed the working directory to be something random. The data files couldn't be found there but then my fix kicked in and redirected the search back to the folder the .exe (and therefore the data) was in, and it worked.

This will be in v3.0.4 which I expect to release shortly.
Site Admin
Post May 18, 2015 22:51
Please let me know if v3.0.4 still gives you trouble! (let me know if it does work too, that's always nice to know!)
Post May 19, 2015 10:14
Fixed like magic! Thanks a lot :)
Post Jun 03, 2015 20:27
3.0.5 is still giving me trouble. The sendto method works, but I still get the error message "Missing Data Files! Please re-install."
Site Admin
Post Jun 03, 2015 20:35
jkat718 wrote:3.0.5 is still giving me trouble. The sendto method works, but I still get the error message "Missing Data Files! Please re-install."
Hmm, a bit unsure why that's still happening. What O/S are you running? and how exactly are you making the error appear in it?

I'll make a note to look into having GC find the installation folder in the registry as a second fallback. For now, please use sendto, sorry for the inconvenience.
Post Jun 04, 2015 00:30
The OS is Windows 8, 64-bit. The error pops up whenever I try to open a .gct file directly, rather than opening GridCart and using File > Open. I actually don't mind the Send To… method personally, because I have GridCart pinned to the Start Menu anyway, so, for me, it's not too hard to just copy the folder path, launch GridCart, and paste it in. I just wanted to let you know that it was still am issue.

TL;DR: OS = Win8 (x64), error on direct open
Site Admin
Post Jun 12, 2015 07:38
Hi, I've added code to the latest v3.0.6 update to look in the registry for the install location as an additional fallback. This let me move the .exe file to the desktop, run it and it still worked - so hopefully whatever Windows 8 is doing is now overcome.

If it still doesn't work, I forgot to ask if you'd installed Grid Cartographer in a folder other than the default?