Thanks for reporting problems here.
Post Oct 06, 2015 18:44
Hello, David.

I used GC v.2 quite long time already, and now I started playing Elminage Gothic and mapped 5 floors already. Then I decided to check GC v.3. And... wait, what with my maps?!!

I used scheme in "black in white" theme with bright yellow floor on white background, red monsters and black people. And everything was allright.

In v.3 it's strange. Red is too dark but bearable, but what with my floor?! It's salad now. White-green salad. Non-distinctive at all.

I tried other themes. Ouch. It's the same everywhere! Different colors, but always too weak and not what advertised at all!

I tried to experiment with CGA, as it's most contrast theme from standard ones. And while in v.2 every floor color is matching pencil color (violet is violet, light green is light green), in v3 it's mixed with background. So brown became gray, black is greeny-gray, and dark red is reddish-gray too.

Same is true for all other sets. On black background everything is too dark, and on white it is too light. Can you, please, put some ability to switch off this blending, please?

Sincerely yours, Oleg Vladimirovych Bobryshev.

P.S. Oh, and one interesting bug revealed, exclusive to CGA, it seems.

In v.2 there are 2 violet colors somehow: 1st and 5th. That are actually dark green and violet for the floor and violet without shade and violet with shade for items. Seems like bug for me.

In v.3 there are the same two shade/no shade violets for the figures... and _really_ dark green for background instead 1st one!
Seems, you partially fixed the issue, but not altogether. :)
Post Oct 06, 2015 19:48
True, it seems that in v3 floor color manually picked by user blends with the background color hard-set by the current theme, and the results are a bit weird sometimes :)

I fully understand and agree when the color of "darkness" or "field" effects changes along with the background; but the floor color, I think, should be independent of that. If a user likes his floors bright yellow, why deny him this pleasure? :)
Site Admin
Post Oct 06, 2015 20:13
Smiling Spectre wrote:In v.3 it's strange. Red is too dark but bearable, but what with my floor?! It's salad now. White-green salad. Non-distinctive at all.
Hey Smiling Spectre, thanks for writing up this problem you're having. I'm afraid I'm not quite sure I follow though. Could you post a picture of what you mean? I can't tell if you've found a bug with loading v2 maps, or if you're not happy with the general colour palette / transparency levels I'm using in v3.0.8.

I will take a look into this, but right now I'm a little confused, sorry!
glaymore wrote:True, it seems that in v3 floor color manually picked by user blends with the background color hard-set by the current theme, and the results are a bit weird sometimes :)

I fully understand and agree when the color of "darkness" or "field" effects changes along with the background; but the floor color, I think, should be independent of that. If a user likes his floors bright yellow, why deny him this pleasure? :)
Okay I think this makes what Smiling Spectre is talking about clearer - but I'll wait to check in case I missed something!
Last edited by David Walters on Oct 06, 2015 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
Post Oct 06, 2015 21:07
Hello, David.

Well, it definitely was transparency levels. Because every color that I used in v2 was darker on dark maps and lighter on light, regardless of used palette.

I say "was", because, well, I have no idea what happened (because I tested it several times, and it consistently gave me "semi-transparent" floors), but now I loaded v2, made screenshot, then reinstalled v3 (it was unusable anyway, so why keep it?), loaded the same map into v3... and it's the same now as v2. Well, not totally same (because you slightly changed most of mapped colors in themes), but exactly the same for CGA, and nothing like that nightmarish "everything-got-blue color" that was here before. %)

I have no idea why it's so, but as it is good for now, I cannot complain anymore. Maybe this bug exist only in first installation, because glaymore seen it too? But I will contact you if I'll encounter the issue again! :)
Site Admin
Post Oct 06, 2015 21:26
Hi Smiling Spectre. That's strange then, but I'm glad things seem to be working okay now. Do, please get in touch if you have this problem again. Thanks!