Thanks for reporting problems here.
Site Admin
Post Aug 21, 2015 11:09
Hi jrodman,

Please try this new beta for Mac OSX which addresses the high CPU usage you've reported.
http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/ ... _beta1.zip

I've tackled this problem by adding a throttle to the main loop set to limit frame rate to 60Hz. This drops the CPU usage on my Mac Mini (i5 dual core) from around 20% as you reported to around 11% now.

In addition I also now detect whether the app is in the background, or off-screen when changing desktop workspace and in that case drop the throttle down to 5Hz which lowers the CPU usage to around 1%.

I hope this works as well for you too.
Post Aug 21, 2015 14:36
FWIW, I get around 16% on my macbook pro when the program is loaded and ignored with no input and no files. With a significantly complex map it's around 20%. With the program minimized the CPU is lost in the noise of near-nothing.

If we believe my methodology (sloppy as hell) matched bewteen that prior report and now, we get an improvement from 15-20% when idle to around 16% when idle, or a few percentage points saved. Perhaps the system was somehow running close to 60 fps already for some reason. However the minimization change is pretty big.

Hopefully the minimized-detection is relatively crossplatform (though given what I know about mac & linux dev, I suspect it isn't), because the same issue definitely occurs on other platforms.
Last edited by jrodman on Aug 21, 2015 14:38, edited 1 time in total.
Site Admin
Post Aug 21, 2015 14:54
jrodman wrote:FWIW, I get around 16% on my macbook pro when the program is loaded and ignored with no input and no files. With a significantly complex map it's around 20%. With the program minimized the CPU is lost in the noise of near-nothing.

If we believe my methodology (sloppy as hell) matched bewteen that prior report and now, we get an improvement from 15-20% when idle to around 16% when idle, or a few percentage points saved. Perhaps the system was somehow running close to 60 fps already for some reason. However the minimization change is pretty big.

Hopefully the minimized-detection is relatively crossplatform (though given what I know about mac & linux dev, I suspect it isn't), because the same issue definitely occurs on other platforms.
Hooray, I'm glad to hear it's improved. You're getting similar results to me which is nice since it turns out a Mac Mini isn't a very good measure for macs behaving well, so great to have confirmation on hardware beyond my budget.

You're right in saying that the solution varies per-platform, sadly. In terms of Windows I've not seen anything like this sort of CPU drain, just a thought though - are you using Parallels? maybe that's not quite working the same as pure Windows, even if it's just a video driver v-sync thing? It's very easy to get zero CPU on Windows with a simple sleep call it just completely drops to nothing, it's always been the Linux based ones that have caused me problems.

When I get more time I'll look into applying a similar fix on Linux as on Mac - but that is something I've done already a while back as a result of an old report. Perhaps is needs a second look!
Site Admin
Post Aug 24, 2015 08:48
I've managed to apply a similar fix to Linux. So that should be a little improved in the next version. Just used the rough metric of "My CPU fans don't come on now". Linux-likes really love going at full speed ahead.