I'm playing through Might & Magic 3, as purchased from GOG (runs on DOSBox). It was working as intended on the version of GC before 4.3... I think 4.2.1? No problems. I've been running windowed DOSBox and GC side by side, without doing the embedded GameLink view inside of GC itself.
Last night I upgraded to 4.3 and changed nothing else. Everything works on launch, but now if I focus Grid Cartographer, the audio from DOSBox cuts out. Focusing any other app doesn't exhibit the issue, only GC. Focusing anything other program but GC restores the game's audio. I suspect GC is somehow stomping on the audio pipeline, starting in 4.3.
Furthermore it seems it only stomps on DOSBox. Other audio-producing apps like Foobar2000 can still output audio while GC is focused.
Things I've tried to fix this:
- Muting GC, or setting its volume to 0% in the program
- Muting GC in Windows volume mixer
- Using vanilla DOSBox or the GameLink hacked DOSBox; both exhibit the issue
- Running DOSBox in admin mode to see if it could stomp back on GC stomping on its audio
- Running a different DOS game (Mystic Towers, Titus the Fox, etc). All of them lose audio when GC is focused
This is a Win10 box, embedded Intel audio, standard line out to 2.0 speakers. Nothing special.